Thursday, July 9, 2009

Sustainable Living Lab Blog Launched!

Today I decided that it would be a good idea to record the progress of the Sustainable Living Lab in a web log. I will post from time to time any progress that has been made towards the creation of the SSL. This blog will also give me the ability to track my own progress, as this project is also part of a class that I am taking as part of a Master's in Science Teaching program at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (New Mexico Tech).
What is the SLL? Well, in brief, its an experiential learning opportunity for students enrolled in San Rafael High School's Academy of Physics and Technology to design and build an automated resource management system for the organic garden at our school. It will include:
  1. An automated irrigation system based on soil humidity levels
  2. A rain catchment system
  3. A energy use monitoring system
  4. A small solar array to power all components (sensors, control unit, and irrigation pumps)
This project is being funded through a PG&E Bright Ideas Grant and we are extremely thankful for their financial support.
The next step is for me to begin the process of creating a miniature proof of concept before I jump into purchasing the components of the system. It should be an incredible learning experience for the students and myself. Please feel free to post any comments if you have any questions or suggestions!

0 comments: